Thursday, March 26, 2009

Follow up appointment

Everything is normal. Yeah! The appointment went well. I asked lots of questions and got lots of answers. I feel more comfortable with the whole process. We are going to be accepted into the shared risk program. It means a lot of money, but if it doesn't work right away or not at all it will be worth it. We are hoping to do the 1:2 program, where we share eggs with another couple. There is more chance that something can go wrong - like not enough eggs to share, but it's a lot cheaper...some $14,000 cheaper. Can do a lot more with that money.

We have one more test and can then pick our donor!! I'm excited about that. I still have to figure out what is most important. Not sure if I want to know for sure the number of genetic siblings are out there...or to just wonder if there may be some in the future. One benefit of knowing is we get more information about the development of the donor's kids...color of their hair, eyes, when they hit their milestones. This is pretty helpful I think. I know there is a risk of our child wanting to find out where they come from and wanting to find their half-whatevers. I'm sure one day probably soon, the government will step in and make it so they will be able to find one another. I personally have always had an interest where I come from and my genetics. I would want to know. My husband on the other hand, could care less. I'm not even sure why this bothers me. I guess I'm scared.

I've always pictured a little girl like me, blond hair & blue eyes. My husband has brown eyes, as do his parents...so chances of getting blue-eyed child is probably slim, no matter what donor I choose. I wish I didn't care about any of this...I hope that when the baby comes, I can just be happy that I have a child.

2 comments:

  1. So glad your appointment went well! It sounds like you got a lot of good answers. I am sure, no matter what your child looks like, you will be in love within a fraction of a second. :)

    Hugs!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad your appointment went well! That baby will be yours and it won't matter if she has red hair and green eyes. However - don't be bummed if she has brown eyes - blue eyes have to be on both sides to get, anyway.

    Hugs, sweetie! You are getting so close!

    ReplyDelete