Monday, April 6, 2009

We did it ~ We picked an Egg Donor

We finally agreed on a woman to donate her egg to us. My husband and I both looked for different qualities.  

I wanted someone with similar talents as myself. I have strong math, athletic, and artistic strengths. So that was important to me. I also wanted someone with similar hair & eye color (even though I know that it's going to be very improbable that we will have a child with blond hair & blue eyes).  I was hoping for someone my height or taller or with family history of being tall.

My husbands main concern was he wanted someone on the thin side.  (I've been super skinny most of my life.) He also would have preferred if we got to see adult pictures.  He thought looks were pretty important and that their abilities were too subjective on the woman's part, which is a little true.

We let money be the final decision breaker, when given the choice of two women who would be great. We are taking a chance picking 1:3 woman. We will share the healthiest eggs with two other couples. We also let time be a decision too. If we picked a 1:2, we would have to wait for another couple to pick her, which could be a week, could be a couple months.  With the 1:3 program, two people have already picked her and if no one else picks her in the next 30 days, we move forward as 1:2 even though we are paying for a 1:3.  So that's good. We save $8,000. That's quite a lot of money.  The only drawback is, if we don't get enough eggs. (The minimum is 4).  Hopefully, the first one works great and we have 3 left over to try for our 2nd child.  If we end up with no eggs left over, that will be a bummer...as we would have to start all over again probably with a new donor. We are hopeful that it all works out because we would prefer our children to be from the same egg donor.

The genes our donor is passing down to our child:
5' 3" weighs 119 lb.  (a little on the short side...but decent weight)
Brown Eyes, Brown Hair (Dirty Blonde as a child), Fair skin
She's German, Irish, & Greek
She has strong artistic talent, high science & athletic ability, average math & music ability
Good teeth - didn't need braces
Her Mother & Grandmother have blue eyes & blonde hair...so their may be a slight chance...
Mother, Grandmother & Sister all relatively short - 5' 0", 5' 3",  5' 5", but thin
Very good family medical history - a little arthritis & eczema. Could have missing information because all the grandparents died from non-medical reasons and at young ages.
PLUS: She was a pretty cute kid, at least from the two photos of her as a toddler.

Now, we wait...at least 30 days...then another month or so to sync everyone's cycles...then another 42 days for the donor to produce lots and lots of eggs, then a couple of days for the eggs to grow to be big and strong, then transfer to wait two weeks to see if it works. Ack...that's a lot of waiting. So maybe in 4 months, I'll know if I'm pregnant...but oh how so many things can go wrong. Be positive. Boy, how that is hard.

5 comments:

  1. This is an exciting step for you guys! I know it took you a while to just get your head into it, and it seems like you are ready to jump in. I love this sharing idea- too cool!

    Hugs. I know the waiting SUCKS.

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exciting!

    I think I am looking at a POF diagnosis myself and we are considering going the egg donor route.

    I hope this cycle is the answer to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, I left you something on my blog! :)

    Hugs,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very exciting. The countdown will be over with sooner that you think.

    Hang in there and think positive. All it takes is one egg. Just dont be crazy and transfer three embroys like I did. :) Although I wouldnt change a thing now, my boys just turned 3 on Wednesday.

    Hugs,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck to you on your journey to become a parent. I had my daughter through an egg donor as well. The waiting is tough. I am sending you my thoughts and good wishes.
    Iris

    ReplyDelete