Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Stupid Teeth

Seems weird to be blogging about teeth, but I've read that it can relate negatively to pregnancies, so better to be safe... I for one, do not like the dentist.  Not really sure who does for that matter. Well, I haven't been in the last say 5 years. :(  That's what happens when you don't have health insurance and hate the dentist.  

I wish I took better care of my teeth! I've always hated brushing my teeth. I hate the taste of toothpaste & I have a terrible gag reflex, so I always end up gagging when I brush my teeth, which also means I never brush my teeth long enough.  

I had two problems this time for the dentist. I had a crown fall out a long long time ago and a filling fell out last week chewing on some candy...darn candy.  Well it turns out that filling fell out because of a cavity close to the nerves so I need another root canal and then another crown. (Yikes - this news brought me to tears this afternoon.)  And on top of all that, I have the beginning of periodontal disease! That mixed with my already decaying bones (post menopause)...doesn't bode well for my teeth.  I have an appointment for the Periodontist on Monday to see how bad and what needs to be done about that. I don't really want to do it, but having it makes me seven times more likely to have a baby that is born too early and too small. I can't take that chance with all that I'm putting in to have this baby.

Now I have just as many dentist appointments as I do fertility appointments. I will be happy when I get all caught up with my teeth.  I then hope to keep my appointments every 6 months and provide a good example for my little boy or girl when they come. 

Oh and my dentist had a story for me, which is kinda cool. I had to tell him about the donor eggs and that I had no control as to when I would get pregnant. So we could do all the dental work before I get pregnant. Well his sister needed some fertility treatments, I'm assuming with donor eggs, but she had two girls with the help of treatments and 9 months ago, at the age of 42, she and her husband got pregnant all on their own! That's pretty exciting. I hope that happens to us.  That would be so cool.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I would rather have a pap smear than even open my mouth in the dentist's chair. I hate the dentist with a passion. I hope the dental work is painless and done quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you for getting in the chair... my husband hates the dentist too (bad experiences as a child) I on the other had didn't and don't mind the dentist. My dentist growing up would always ask who my boyfriend was and before I left my hometown I went in for one more visit and he showed me "the list" lol

    Isn't it amazing how we cross paths with people who have be effected/touched in some way by infertility? I opened up on Tuesday to my yoga instructor as she has mentioned she was a nurse and I asked if she had been a part of any fertility type surgeries... she said no but it has effected me personally! She had one child and was unable to conceive a second. She encouraged me to start the testing too.

    One week from today is test day and I'm hoping with all my heart that I will get the best birthday gift ever!

    minna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete